Sunday, January 24, 2016

Investigating Genres

Chosen Genre: Quick reference guide

What purpose(s) does this genre usually serve?
The purpose of a quick reference guide tends to serve as an informative article. It gives a summary of a real life issue going on in the world that readers can learn about.

Where, how, or in what context do readers usually find this genre?
Readers can find this genre in many forms of media. This can be through newspapers, online news sources and magazines. The subjects on current events can relate to different issues on business, health, sports and other topics.

Who is the typical audience for this genre?
There does not seem to be a specific audience as a given quick reference guide can be viewed online from major news sources worldwide. Thus through the availability of the Internet it is hard to pin point a specific audience group. However, it would seem that a typical audience for this genre could be people looking to learn more about a certain ongoing issue in recent events. It is through a quick reference guide that the audience can get an overall general understanding of a news story in current events.

What are some of the key features or characteristics that are unique to this genre, distinguishing it from other texts?
In this genre, the writer keeps a balanced argument, while giving evidence, and avoids supporting one side more than the other. In other words, the author of a quick reference guide should not show bias and instead consider both sides of the argument/conflict. The genre serves to show readers facts of a current issue, informing readers rather than persuading or entertaining them.

Based on your answers to the questions above, come up with a definition in your own words for this genre.
A quick reference guide serves as a text to inform readers about a situation occurring currently. Readers are given evidence to understand a new issue they want to learn and read more about. It is through a succinct article that allows readers to understand the summary of a recent topic.

Reflection:

Once I finished reading my peers posts about the different genres in the course, I felt as though I have a much clearer idea on what each genre will entitle. This was seen with Sarah’s writing on the video essay and David’s post relating to podcasts. At first I wasn’t quite familiar with what a video essay truly was, but after reading Sarah’s definition about the video essay it made me understand what the genre is. Additionally, David’s points made about podcasts helped me realize how podcasts shows are very personal and are directed towards the listener/reader. After reading all of my classmates blog posts this gave me a better understanding as to which genre would be more appropriate for the four different projects. Thus with my better understanding on all the different genres I feel more confident on how to complete all the projects for this semester.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, wrote my post on QRGs. I agree with everything you wrote here and found the same information to be true while also doing my investigation. I love how you write eloquently and concisely so that it is extremely easy to understand your point without having to read a ton of information. I tend to overwrite in order to convey my point so I admire your writing technique. If any advice should be solicited, just for the sake of doing so, I would recommend that you kind of spice up your writing a little bit! This could be done by maybe changing the titles up a little bit or something. Even then, I wouldn't say it a necessity as your post very much so reaches the requirements and is written well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eren, I loved how precise, yet very detailed your post was. I tend to agree with all your saying about the audience cause it seems to be a wide range of viewers. I found this very interesting and helpful because I find the QRGs to be very specifically formatted. The only thing I would change is to make your voice more prominent and spice it up a bit with a picture or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note on conventions of the blog post genre: Revisit Step 1.5 from "Deadline 1" to re-familiarize yourself with the conventions of blogging. You're missing items on the bulleted list of conventions there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the Read/Reply Reflects: Revisit Step 1.10 from "Deadline 1" to re-familiarize yourself with what the prompt is asking for….. “Be sure to also list who you replied to and provide working hyperlinks to each individual’s post (NOTE: if these links aren’t included or don’t work or if the page it directs us to is blocked from public view, I will not be able to assign you full credit for this exercise)” (Step 1.10).

    ReplyDelete